Saturday, October 4, 2014

Crock Pot Lemonade Moonshine

When we had our mini family reunion at my sister's house over Labor Day, my bro in law, Edd, brought some moonshine from Kentucky to share. It was the Apple Pie version and, although it didn't sound appealing to me, all the rest of my family loved it, and ranted and raved all weekend about how good it was. It got me thinking when I got back home how exactly someone would make something like that and how labor intensive it might be. I started googling it and quickly realized there's all kinds of recipes on the internet for moonshine and most of them are made in trusty crock pots. I came upon this lemonade version(we love lemonade in our house) and decided to give it a go because it sounded tasty and looked fairly simple. Here's the recipe: Ingredients-- 5 Lemons (juiced), 6 Cups of Water, 2 Cups of White Sugar, 2 Cups of Everclear Grain Alcohol 190 Proof or Vodka.
Instructions: In crock-pot, add water, sugar and lemon juice. Heat on high for 2 hours.
Unplug crock-pot and allow the mixture to cool to room temp. After cooled, you can strain the lemon seeds out of the syrup.
Add in 2 cups of grain alcohol or vodka. Mix well. Fill quart jars with liquid and place a lid and ring on jars.
Allow this to sit for up to 30 days. This amount makes the 2 regular and 1 small size jars. I can't wait until November to be able to drink and share this. **** Also, I need to add as a side note some family history pertaining to moonshine. My grandfather, during Prohibition, made a living as a bootlegger(among other things). To hear my mom tell it, they used to have a garage with a dirt floor and he had dug a hole in the floor and hid his spirits in there covered by some wood... which worked until her pet monkey found it. lol ****

No comments:

Post a Comment