Saturday, October 11, 2014

Saturday = Rolo Pretzels, Halloween Chocolate Chip Cookies, Blueberrry UNC Jello Jigglers and Frito Pie

Today has been a great day....one where it is now 6:30 pm and I am still in my pjs. I need days like this after a hard stressful week full of work(praise God) and one problem after another....so I took it. Mike dropped off Jay this morning for a couple of hours so I got to spend some time with the grandboy and I think I needed that, too. He played with one of his favorite things in the world, his legos, on his new lego table I put together (blogged about it not too long ago) and I got in the kitchen and started making stuff. I don't know what it is about the fall that makes me want to get in the kitchen but it does. The first thing I made are Rolo Pretzels. If you have never made these, you are missing out. They have become a fall staple for me and so fricking easy, but they rock all the same. You just need the 3 things: pretzels, Rolos and a handful of M&Ms. Take your baking sheet and put some pretzels on it, spacing them apart. Take a Rolo and place on top of each pretzel.
Put them in the oven at 250 degrees and watch them closely. The Rolo will melt right over the pretzel. After they melt, take them out of the oven and immediately press an M&M into each one. Let cool. That's it...yummy goodness!!!!
Next on the agenda was Halloween chocolate chip cookies. No instructions required. I will say though that few things beat a warm chocolate chip cookie coming out of the oven.
Jay and I decided then that our next project would be BlueBerry UNC jello jigglers. I am a big sucker for any food item that has the UNC logo on it. I really don't even think most times about the extra money they tack on to the price because it's got the logo on there, although I did this time. I saw this kit earlier in the week at Food Lion.
Initially I balked at the price....but when I got home, I regretted it and went back the next day to pick some up. I figured the 2 UNC trays could be used for much more than jigglers, such as candy using candy melts. The instructions are, of course, on the box. I boiled the water and Jay took it from there. So much fun for him.
They have to set for 3 hours and voila!!!!
I need to add that they taste great, too. I'm sure I will be making them again during basketball season when the boys come over to watch the games. Finally the coup d'etat of the day was making Frito pie. I am from Texas and have been eating this all my life. I haven't made it a lot in recent years but it's so simple I should. I had made chili a couple of days ago but had no Fritos in the house. Picked them up yesterday with the intention of using them for it today. Everyone knows how to put a Frito pie together so I won't oversimplify it. I will, however, post a picture.
Like I said at the beginning of this post, it's all been fun for me today because I needed a day at home to hang out with the grandboy and de-stress. It was so great when his dad picked him up and I thanked him for coming over to spend time with me. He replied "It was my pleasure Nana!" Too funny!!!!! Hope ya'll's Saturday rocked!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment